Rigatoni with Pork Sausage and Plums
Prepared by Chef Brad Spence of Amis Trattoria – Philadelphia, PA
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 8 oz San Marzano tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 5 plums, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt to taste.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ¼ cup olive oil and heat for 30 seconds.
- Add crumbled pork sausage to skillet and sear until well browned, stirring occasionally.
- Once sausage is browned, add onions and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bring to low heat while pasta cooks.
- Drop pasta into boiling water and cook for 1 minute less than package instructs. Drain pasta and add pork sausage mixture. Cook while tossing or stirring for 1 minute. Adjust sauce with more pasta water if dry or continue to cook for 30 seconds more if too wet.
- When pasta is cooked, add plums, chopped parsley, remaining ¼ cup olive oil and half of cheese.
- Toss or mix until pasta is coated. Serve on a warm platter and top with remaining cheese.