Roasted Scallops with Anchovy Butter
Prepared by Chef Renee Erickson of The Whale Wins – Seattle, WA
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, preferably European style, softened
- 4 whole anchovies, bones removed, or 8 boneless filets, finely chopped
- Grated peel of 1 small lemon
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Lemon peel
- Basil oil
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter on high speed for 1 minute, until soft and fluffy.
- Add anchovies, thyme, grated lemon peel, lemon juice and pepper, and mix on high for 1 minute, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
- Transfer anchovy butter to a bowl to use at room temperature.
- Rinse scallops and pat dry with a paper towel. Season scallops lightly with sea salt.
- Heat a Hestan pan to medium heat and add in a drizzle of olive oil. Add each scallop flat side down and sear on one side for 1 minute or until they start to brown. Do not move scallops once placed in hot oil.
- Immediately add in a large spoonful of the anchovy butter. Turn scallop and mount with melted butter. This will help brown the anchovy. Total cooking time should be very short.
- Serve each scallop over roasted zucchini and garnish with lemon peel and basil oil.